October 1, 2008

The Real Housewives of Atlanta Premiere on Bravo TV- Keepin It Real?

Now, I'm not a frequent viewer of the "Housewives" (New York & Orange County, CA) series on Bravo TV, however, this coming Tuesday, October 7, Bravo TV is premiering a new chapter in the "Housewives" series, the Real Housewives of Atlanta.

http://www.bravotv.com/Real_Housewives_Of_Atlanta/season/1/about/index.php

I am excited and nervous about this premiere all at the same time. I'm excited because it's the first in the series to feature any black women and for as long as the series has been on the air, Bravo has acted as if there are no Black women who stay at home, work from home, or have husbands with money for that matter that allow them to live extravagant lives, like many White women do.

In the same vein, I'm nervous about the show because it is featuring Black women who are staying at home, living these extravagant lives, working from home, and, based on the clips and previews I've seen so far, seem to be very attitudanal, gold diggers, and might come across as down right bitches, an image that, at this moment in time, Black women really don't need.

This is where fear kicks in for me, as a Black woman, because, on the one hand, I do want to see Black women featured in every genre of television viewing and I want us to be featured as a part of everyday American culture but on the other hand, I don't want Black women to be featured, as we often are, as these loud, obnoxious women whose only goal is to get a man's money. I so don't want these Black "Housewives" to be seen as this.

I guess we will have to watch and wait and see.

(p.s. - As a side note, there is a White housewife featured on this new "Housewives" series, however, the majority of the women appear to be African American, which is a reflects very well, the population in the Greater Atlanta area, which is something that we need to see displayed on TV today.)

Retro Reviews
Kellea

No comments: